Monday, September 01, 2008

Wrigley-Funded Study Finds Chewing Gum May Help Reduce Stress



In other news, a study funded by Smith & Wesson finds shooting guns may help reduce stress.



New research finds chewing gum may help reduce stress

WHAT: "An investigation into the effects of gum chewing on mood and cortisol levels during psychological stress," to be presented at the 2008 10th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine, found that chewing gum helped relieve anxiety, improve alertness and reduce stress among individuals in a laboratory setting.* The study examined whether chewing gum is capable of reducing induced anxiety and/or acute psychological stress while participants performed a battery of 'multi-tasking' activities. The use of chewing gum was associated with higher alertness, reduced anxiety and stress, and improvement in overall performance on multi-tasking activities.

WHO: Andrew Scholey, Ph.D., professor of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Swinburne University in Melbourne, Australia led the research study and can discuss the effect of chewing gum on stress relief and focus and concentration.

Gilbert Leveille, Ph.D., executive director, Wrigley Science Institute, will also be available to discuss research on the benefits of chewing gum related to stress relief and alertness and concentration in addition to other areas including weight management and oral health.

. . .

*Scholey, Andrew. An investigation into the effects of gum chewing on mood and cortisol levels during psychological stress. 10th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine. Tokyo, Japan. August 2008.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At September 02, 2008 6:27 AM, Blogger TaMz said...

I put your blog on my Blog List at www.blackcherie.blogspot.com
Although my blog is light reading that doesn't mean I don't take interest in blogs like yours. Your posts are always interesting and insightful. As soon as I saw your latest update I had to check it out. I always wondered what it was about chewing gum that makes it so appealing. Chewing gum is my cigarette. I cannot live without it ( and I'm not just saying that). I have become truly dependant on it. Sometimes I can stay a whole day without food and just a pack of gum. It makes me alert and the flavoured juices fill my tummy until the next meal. I also take it when I'm nervous and during exam periods I can consume up to 2 whole packs of Orbit (usually the Fresh Mint or Cherry varieties). It's crazy, but oh-so-true! Keep up the great stuff ;)

TaMMy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker